Candidates wishing to apply for an ASTS programme should:
- hold a nationality from one of the countries of the EU/EEA (The Netherlands excluded) or Suisse
- not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the ASTS
- have submitted a complete application to one of the MSc programmes (see the website of your MSc programme for the application and admission procedure)
- have been (or will be) admitted for the first time to one of the MSc programmes at the UvA
ASTS application deadline
The deadline for application is extended until 14 March 2022.
Selection criteria for the scholarship
The Faculty of Science has a limited number of Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarships available. In addition to the admission requirements of the Master's programme, eligible candidates are selected on the basis of their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field as evidenced by:
- The candidate’s academic records. Students belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class can apply. This generally means an overall GPA equivalent to:
- 3.5 (American system, 4-point scale)
- 1st class honours/ upper division (British system)
- 8+ (Dutch EC-system, 10-point scale);
- The academic quality of the educational institute where the (under)graduate degree has been (or will be) obtained;
- The quality of the letter of motivation (maximum 500 words), in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme in a broader context and the relevance of obtaining this scholarship for the candidate’s future academic career;
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae, including a description of extracurricular activities such as participation in student commissions, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work;
- Proof of English proficiency
How to apply?
Application for the Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarship is part of the application procedure for the Master’s programme of your choice. On your application form we ask whether you want to be considered for a UvA scholarship. Please check this box if you want to be considered and if you fulfill all requirements mentioned above.
Furthermore, you should include a paragraph in your motivation letter in which you explain why you wish to be nominated for the Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarship, and what it would mean for your future academic career.
After applying, the coordinators of the MSc Programmes decide which students will be nominated for the scholarship. All students will be informed as soon as possible.
Requirements for prolongation of the scholarship in the second year
- The scholarship is awarded to students in their first year of a Master’s degree programme. Only students following a 2-year Master’s programme may be awarded a scholarship for a second year.
- The prerequisite for obtaining the scholarship for a second year is the achievement of at least 80% of the 60 possible credits. The Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarship Committee will ask the programme coordinator to confirm that these credits have indeed been achieved.
- The Faculty of Science requires that students satisfy the supplementary requirements imposed on students by the faculty and or programme, such as the obligation to attend all classes, good progress, effort.
Specific questions may be posed in writing to the International Team of the Faculty of Science, email@example.com.