Amsterdam Merit Scholarship
Faculty of Science
Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria in order to be considered for the AMS scholarship.
The applicant should:
- hold non-EEA nationality or nationalities only
- not be entitled to receive a Dutch study grant or loan ( studiefinanciering)
- not be eligible to pay the reduced tuition fee rate for EEA students at the UvA
- not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AMS scholarship
- have submitted a complete application to one of the MSc programmes of the Faculty of Science; this includes a sufficient English test score (see requirements under 'Admission and Application' on the Faculty of Science website)
- have been (or will be) admitted to one of the MSc programmes offered by the Faculty of Science (UvA)
- be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa (if applicable).
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means that the student is not eligible for an AMS scholarship.
The Faculty of Science has a limited number of AMS scholarships available.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- be admitted to one of the MSc programmes of the Faculty of Science
- their academic merit and suitability of the proposed field of study
How to apply
Please mention on your application form whether you wish to be nominated for an AMS scholarship from the UvA. If you have already sent us your (completed) application form, then you can still inform us about your wish to be nominated by sending us an email to the address below.
If you want to apply for AMS please include in your motivation letter a paragraph in which you explain why you wish to be nominated for AMS.
Completed applications should be received by the International Team of the Faculty of Science before 1 February 2017; this includes a sufficient English proficiency test result.
Selection will take place in May 2017. AMS scholarship candidates will be notified as soon as the selection is known.
For the academic year 2017-2018 the Faculty of Science has a few (partial) Amsterdam Merit Scholarships on offer, the exact amount of the scholarship will be announced as soon as possible. The Amsterdam Merit Scholarship amount received in the first academic year of a two-year Master's programme will also be paid to the nominated students in their second academic year (conditions apply).
Amsterdam Merit Scholarships are only awarded to applicants who are admitted to one of the MSc programmes of the Faculty of Science. A scholarship granted for the two-year programme that starts in September of a certain year cannot be transferred to another academic year. Failing to enrol in the MSc programme to which the applicant has been admitted when the programme actually starts entails forfeiture of the scholarship. AMS scholarships are not available to those who have been granted another scholarship. Students who are awarded an AMS scholarship are expected to complete their first year of study with good results (40 ECTS) in order to receive the scholarship for the second academic year.
Students who are granted an AMS Scholarship are required to assent to the conditions attached to the scholarship in writing preceding the grant of the scholarship.