Majors and Minors
Faculty of Science
On this page:
At the UvA you can choose to do your Master’s programme with a society-/ business-oriented major or minor that focuses on other skills than doing research. In this case you will follow the programme of your chosen scientific discipline during the first year of your Master’s (although slightly adjusted), and a society-/ business-oriented major or minor during the second year. You will graduate as a Master of Science. If you have the ambition to do a professional specialisation make sure to inform about conditions early in your Master's programme.
Major Science in Society (60 EC, in English)
The Master's major Science in Society:
- is meant for students with a broad interest in current affairs, social issues, policy, management and entrepreneurship relating to scientific matters
- concerns reading and writing policy advisory reports, management aspects such as leadership styles and motivation techniques, and organisational structures
- offers career prospects such as policy preparation advisor with a government department, or a management career in a pharmaceutical company
- is part of a two-year Master’s programme: during the first year, you will follow the regular Master’s programme of your chosen scientific discipline (60 EC), and subsequently you will follow the first year of the Master’s programme Management, Policy-Analysis and Entrepreneurship in Health & Life Sciences, at Vrije Univerisiteit Amsterdam.
Do biomedical innovations not only raise scientific questions for you, but also ethical, legal and social questions? Then the major Science in Society might be for you.
Major Teaching (60 EC, in Dutch)
This programme is designed for students thinking of a job in secondary or professional education. Following this programme gives you the opportunity to achieve the first-level teaching qualification within two years.
The first year you will follow the courses (60 EC) of the programme of your choice and in the second year you will take courses at the ILO (Interfacultaire Lerarenopleidingen), part of the Graduate School of Child Development and Education. You will graduate as a Master of Science in your own discipline.
Major Science Communication (60 EC, partly in Dutch)
Is designed for students who have a broad interest in current events, societal issues and the public debate on the position of the natural sciences in society
• Prepares you for careers on the intersection of science, technology and society; professions for which you need a critical, academic attitude and the skills to support a fruitful dialogue between science and society
• Is part of a two-year master education programme: you first follow the regular master programme of your choice (60 EC) to deepen your expert knowledge, after which you follow the Science Communication specialization year (60 EC) at the Athena Institute at VU Amsterdam.
Do you see yourself working in the future as a science journalist at a newspaper or at a popular science magazine? Or do you aspire to be a communication advisor at a biomedical company, a content manager at a science museum or a PR-manager at an environmental organization? With the Science Communication master specialization you can combine your interest in the natural sciences with gaining knowledge and skills within the field of science communication.
Minor Tesla (30 EC)
Do you want to work on a real business case in a multidisciplinary team? The Tesla project is characterised by an interdisciplinary and unconventional focus on utilizing science knowledge in real life environments. During the intensive programme students will attend lectures by speakers from within and outside of the Academia, participate in a range of skills trainings, be responsible for the organisation of part of the track and work in small groups on a project for an external partner (company).
Minor Science for Sustainability (30 EC)
Science for Sustainability is a minor for science master students who want to make a connection between their scientific background and the societal challenge to enhance a sustainable future. You learn to combine scientific and transformational knowledge with insights in economics and politics. The final aim is to come to science based solutions for pressing issues such as climate change, the need to safeguard our environment, and the global demand for energy, water and food. Note: This minor is only possibly in selected Master's programmes.
Within which Master’s programmes?
The professional master majors and minor are available within most two-year Master’s programmes of the UvA Faculty of Science.
The major teaching can only be integrated in the following programmes:
- Biological sciences
- Biomedical sciences
- Earth sciences
- Life Sciences
- Physics and Astronomy
- Stochastics and Financial Mathematics
If you are admitted to a Master’s programme in which the master majors are available, you are automatically admissible to a master major within that programme. Please note that some majors have other application deadlines than regular Master's programmes.
The Tesla minor is a selective programme with an intake procedure consisting of a written application, a presentation, an interview and an assessment.
For more specific questions about the professional master majors, please contact the Majors Manager, dr. Erik Joling.