Master's Information Studies: Business Information Systems (track)
From 2018 – 2019 the track Business Information Systems in the Master’s programme Information Studies will no longer be offered at the UvA. If you are interested in Information Studies, the two other track in Master’s programme may be for you: Data Science or Human Centred Multimedia.
In the interdisciplinary track Business Information Systems (BIS) in the Master’s programme Information Studies you learn how organisations apply Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in decision-making, development and change processes. The track combines organisational theory, innovation theory and knowledge of applying ICT for organisational and societal purposes.
Is Business Information Systems at the UvA the study programme for me?
It is, if:
- you have a background in social sciences (like for instance Business, Media or Policy Studies) and understand the crucial function of information systems/ICT applications in business processes, decision-making and communication
- you have a technical background in ICT (like computer science or artificial intelligence) and appreciate the organisational aspects and organisational behaviour that determine successful application of ICT
- you’re a student with a mixed organisational and ICT background, like a degree in Information Systems or Information Science and want to deepen your knowledge of organisations and ICT
What does Business Information Systems at the UvA have to offer me?
The BIS track focuses on:
- how information systems can be developed and managed in line with organisational or societal goals and all other information systems already in use
- how organisations, products, processes or societal functions can be innovated by ICT application
- how people use information in business processes and decision-making processes
- how effects of ICT on organisations and society can be studied.
The word organisation in this context means business, governmental and entrepreneurial organisations or their networks.
Studying in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is an interesting city to do your Master’s and to start a career in the BIS field. The University of Amsterdam is one of the best in Europe, Amsterdam belongs to the top 10 livable cities in the world and hosts the most ICT companies in the Netherlands. Furthermore ICT intensive industries like the financial industry, the creative industry, dotcom entrepreneurs, headquarters of international companies and all kinds of business services are highly present in Amsterdam.
- Degree programme
- MSc Information Studies
- Regular study programme
- Full-time, part-time
- 60 ECTS, 12 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- CROHO code