Earth Sciences: Environmental Management (track)
This Master's track combines an education in geo-ecological science with interdisciplinary skills. You will learn to apply your knowledge of earth sciences in a professional setting and are trained to tackle environmental problems while working in teams with other specialists.
Why specialise in Environmental Management?
Our environment is increasingly affected by human impact. To protect it, we need skilled professionals that can manage landscapes and geo-ecosystems for the benefit of future generations. This requires in-depth knowledge of environmental systems and the ability to work together in interdisciplinary teams and to deal with transitions in relation to global change.
The Environmental Management track in the Earth Sciences Master's programme is set up to equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to become this professional. Furthermore, you will have the opportunity to combine your Master's track with the Science for Sustainability minor, which extends your horizon on sustainability issues.
The curriculum combines one year of Earth Sciences courses and one specialised year concentrating on management aspects of Earth Sciences, interdisciplinary skills and an internship in a company, government organisation or NGO.
Is Environmental Management the track for me?
Environmental Management is a programme which integrates knowledge from natural science disciplines such as (physical) geography, landscape ecology, environmental chemistry, sustainability and transition management.
Are you interested in:
- deepening your knowledge and applying this knowledge for the benefit of society?
- solving complex environmental issues?
- practical training?
- studying in a personal and inspiring environment?
Then Environmental Managent might be the track for you!
What does Environmental Management at the UvA offer me?
- The track offers a unique and inspiring programme with many opportunities to make your own choices and customise the content to your own interests.
- Environmental Management is taught by a team of inspired and enthusiastic lecturers, specialised in a range of topics relevant to the programme.
- During your Master’s research project you will join a research group, making an actual contribution to solving an environmental issue as a member of the group. You will work closely together with top researchers in the field.
- You will carry out an internship at a professional organisation or company, which gives you a head start in developing your professional network.
Graduates of this track are well equipped to develop a successful career as an applied earth scientist. Such specialists are in high demand to tackle the challenges of climate change. They are relied upon to translate scientific process knowledge into management strategies, in order to lessen the effects of climate change for society.
- Degree programme
- MSc MSc Earth Sciences
- Regular study programme
- 120 EC ECTS, 24 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- February, September
- CROHO code