Chemistry: Science for Energy and Sustainability (track)
Science for Energy and Sustainability (SES) is an two-year interdisciplinary track within the Master's programmes Chemistry and Physics and Astronomy. It combines ‘hard’ scientific research with the analysis of societal issues, business models and government regulations. It is a joint degree programme with the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam so you will benefit from the expertise, networks and research projects at both universities.
Is Science for Energy and Sustainability in Amsterdam the track for me?
It is , if you:
- are interested in sustainable chemistry and catalysis
- want to become (more) aware of the scientific, technological and societal challenges for our future
- want to learn how to advance renewable energy resources, promote sustainable development, and use resources more efficiently
- want to study the development of technological solutions to global energy and sustainability problems, as well as the societal context of global developments in this field
- want to pursue a career that focuses on developing sustainable solutions to our current pressing global situation with regard to energy, climate and sustainability.
What does Science for Energy and Sustainability in Amsterdam have to offer me?
The track Science for Energy and Sustainability is an outward-looking programme, geared towards the cutting edge of energy and sustainability research. It gives you the skills and knowledge to move from understanding the state-of-the-art, to actually developing new sustainable technologies that can be implemented in society.
The programme allows for a very flexible curriculum containing mostly chemistry or additional physics or business oriented courses; As such it covers a broad area of hot topics, such as:
- bio-based economy
- green chemistry
- photophysical and photochemical energy conversion
- renewable energy technologies
- biosolar cells and catalysis for sustainable synthesis and energy conversion.
Joint degree programme with VU Amsterdam
Science for Energy and Sustainability is a track in the Master's programme Chemistry, a joint degree programme of the University of Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Courses are taught at locations of both universities. UvA and VU jointly issue a degree certificate to graduates. As a Chemistry student in Amsterdam you benefit from expertise, networks and research projects at both universities and affiliated research institutes.
- Degree programme
- MSc Chemistry: Science for Energy and Sustainability
- Regular study programme
- 120 ECTS, 24 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- CROHO code